Life can be overwhelming at times and it is easy to feel overwhelmed and exhausted. Stepping back and looking at how you manage your time can help you make some active choices to restore your balance and wellbeing and feel more in control.
- Look after you own needs. This is self-care and NOT selfish. You are not able to be there for others in a healthy way if you are stressed out and depleted. Make time for you, this is not a luxury but a necessity!
- Strive for balance. Making active choices and decisions about how you spend your time and energy will help you feel more control of your own life.
- Express yourself. If you are feeling happy then express it, if you are feeling sad then express that too. Learn to notice how you are feeling and talk about it, don’t bottle things up.
- Develop and maintain healthy relationships. Spend time with people who contribute to your well-being and avoid or limit the time spent with toxic people.
- Be flexible in your thinking. Be aware of “all or nothing” or “black and white” thinking. Avoid using words such as “ought”, “should”, “must” and “can’t”. Look at alternative views and avoid perfectionism.
- Take responsibility. You are responsible for your life and everything in it including your own happiness.
- Confront, rather than avoid difficulties and frustrations. Treat problems as challenges, useful in building up your tolerance and experience. Expect change and challenges and for life to be unfair at times.
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it”Charles R Swindoll.